Wednesday, June 30, 2004

The Jam Factory


Jam factory

I am feeling a whole lot better. Yesterday most of us went to the Bhura Jam Factory that is located about 7k from the Ruchi house. It was an inspirational visit. The lady who runs it is half German and half English and has lived in India for about 7 years. She supports the local economy by buying her fruit solely from i9ndaviduals and very small farms. She also employs around 40 local women to process the fruits. The house is something out of a fairy tail with its quaint stonewalls and gardens busting at the seems with life and color. A rainbow of roses, artichokes and wild flowers surround you as you walk up the cobble stone walk to the factory and the sounds of women chatting emanate from the open windows. I bought a peach and an apricot jam to take back home. They make their jams and jellies by hand and its really interesting to watch.
Peter, a new friend of mine who’s really nice, watched the sunset with me. It was really great just to relax and soak in everything here. Peter is sure a nice guy-I am glade I've met him. I am not sure why the guys I've been around before have been such jerks, I know there are many really polite and cool guys out there, maybe my lack of exposure or attitude has to do with it? Not sure. I really do not want to go home. It is not because I am unhappy there but I do not feel strongly connected to anyone but my puppy Travis and my mom who is amazing. If they were here I wouldn't mind staying here for a few years. Maybe it’s a good thing not to be attached, you have more freedom that way. My Indian crush just walked by, god he is the cutest guy that ever lived. He is from Nepal; about 5'4 with curly black hair and an irresistible shy little smile that he flashes every once in a while. He sings while he cleans in the morning and he is just sooo adorable. He works so hard and has such a gentle nature; he sure has stolen my heart that’s for sure! I better be off, we are having a teachers conference today with teachers from local villages at 10:30am. Cheers.