Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Day One In Rajgarh


The Ruchi house-our new home


We have arrived in Rajgar, a small hill village in Himashal Pradesh (HP) where I will teach English for my first 3 weeks in India. The economy is based on agriculture (mainly fruit orchards) and handy crafts. A quiet place, Rajgarh will be a great prelude to the hassle and noise of the Delhi. The train ride was lovely and the 3 hour car ride was equally enjoyable if not a bit hair raising. The foothills are much cooler then Delhi and the air, while still thick with pollution, is relatively clean. The locals have carved out ledges in the hillsides to build orchards, fields and roads sort of like the way they do in Puru. The town of Rajgarh is around 4000 people but the total population including the surrounding areas is more like 20000. God it is incredibly beautiful here. I am sitting on a hill looking out over a lush valley. The whole landscape below is lush and green and small huts are dotted here and there on the steep slopes. A windy road makes it way through the valley floor and I can just see the specks of fruit trucks (TATA's) winding back and forth on the cutbacks. The distant sounds of rattling vehicles and singsong horns are mingled with children’s voice and the occasional mooing of a cow from the marketplace. I came here to make a difference but as I gain a clearer understanding of this country I realize it is me who will be changed and learn from them, not the other way around. We (Americans) have this notion that the world needs to be saved by us. I am begging to realize more and more that they do not need us at all. It is really a shame when we impose our values on others and judge them by our ideals, especially when people in our own country with their suburbs, Wal-Mart’s and SUV's aren’t happy most of the time. Does having a two-car garage, white picket fence and Abercrombie apparel makes us better then the rest of the world? Well, as far as I can see, consumerism doesn’t cut it so why do people get so caught up in it? Anyways, enough rambling. I am going to stroll on down to the Ruchi house (my new home) and catch a few Z's...c ya