Thursday, July 01, 2004

Sunset Hill


The view from Sunset Hill

I am sitting in a cloud of orange and yellow dragonflies on top of a hill looking out over a lush valley. It is full of small villages and the hustle and bustle that characterizes rural India. I spent most of the day sitting in a garden surrounded by peach trees watching a baby girl play with her mother. I know India has changed me, or rather helped me to become more of myself. It is a slow process but it works at the foundation of your soul and I can feel it shifting minutely within me. I probably wont realize it until I have been home a while. It is humbling to realize America and what it stands for is neither lover nor idealized by everyone. In fact, many resent America. Click on this LINK to see a major reason why. One thing that has surprised me about India is the importance of appearance (especially to women). It is almost as bad as in the USA. Slim is very desirable (particularly in cities). I do not know where the "well rounded is popular over there" idea came from. I guess Ill have to try Italy next time for that..*sigh*....Tomorrow is the start of my first 2 day weekend and we are all going to a small town called Shimla. Goodnight :)