Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Busy Day


Jal Mahal Palace


So many thoughts to write down. I woke up around 9am and was picked up at 10. My voice was shot the whole day which really really sucked but I am feeling well otherwise. We went to a monkey temple where I experienced the closest thing to hell I have gone through in a long time. We went the back way up and over a hill on a cobblestone-frying strip. I swear it was at least 120 degrees with no shade and sprinkling of beggars, wide-eyed and grinning men and pigs. Strange enough, there was an almost complete absence of monkeys anywhere. After the walk for what seemed like forever up the mountain on a path so hot I could almost smell the rubber burning on my sandals as I placed my feet on the baking stone, we descended into a nice group of temples and dusty buildings dotted here and there with monkeys. While Salim went for a swim into a communal pool where both men and monkeys frolicked (hygienic ay?), I wondered around in a sort of daze. Inevitably I was accosted by one of the most dislikable men I have ever met. He was the owner of the monkey temple had a knack for pissing people off and seemed to take a perverse pleasure in seeing them turn red with rage. "You sure are emotional aren’t you?" was there first thing that came out of his mouth after I had handed over the 30 R's entree fee he requested. Emotional? I hadn't even said two words to the man. I repressed my urge to ask him why he was such a sleazy fat bastard and instead squeaked out some half ass, "I am sick" and escaped. I still had absolutely no power of speech and couldn't have chewed him out if I wanted to, which was rather annoying to say the least. The temple itself was a dusty stone building that wasn't all that impressive. After hauling ourselves back over the hill and consuming about 4 gallons of water (you think I am joking don't you?!), we went to the main museum in Jaipur who’s name has escaped me. It is strange how the museums in India are so unkempt and full of pigeon %$**, and dust. The museums here are as old and grimy as what they hold within their walls. Countless birds had left their marks on the walls and dirt caked glass cases full of water marked paintings and cobwebbed incrusted sculptures of Vishnu and Ganesh that were set haphazardly throughout the rooms of the big building. In a brief moment of panic I thought I had lost Salim. As the ever-present crowds of men started to gather around me I realized Jaipur was absolutely not a city too travel solo in. My savior was found and we headed for the Amber Fort where I was to have my first potentially deadly experience with the male scum of India. The fort was beautiful and my guide, although utterly incomprehensible, was a nice enough old fellow. After my tour I wondered around for a while when a short, round man began to follow me. The man was trouble; I knew the second he opened his mouth. It wasn't because of what he said, he was utterly polite-too polite-it was that he simply oozed an almost evil dishonesty that seemed 100x creepier then the open stares and comments of the young men on the streets. That’s it...he was profoundly and unquestionably creepy in a dangerous, rapist sort of way. He started asking questions and offered to show me the rooms of the ort even though he had previously said that it wash is first time in the place. I figured it was harmless to go with him since we were in a public place and he was alone so I went with him. Looking back, that is what scares me most. It isn't him, it is my blatant stupidity. Maybe my mind wasn't working because of sickness and heat but never the less, that is the reason I have decided never to go solo in India again until I get some more common sense or a really really big boyfriend. Even though he claimed to be a tourist like me, he know the fort inside out. As he wondered through the passageways, he kept brushing up against me and rubbing his hands against mine. I told him my Jeep was waiting but he followed me faithfully till we got to the entrance where he insisted I meet his "friend" who was equally creepy. Thankfully my driver came to the rescue before I could get into any more trouble and took me back to the rickshaw lot about 5 minutes down the hill. When I arrived one of the older drivers very kindly offered to group and kick the guys ass but I, ever stupidly polite, refused his offer. An hour of chilling at the carpet shop and back to the hotel. After busting an axel and hitting no less then three vehicles, I was returned safely to my hotel.