Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Hospital Thoughts

Virginia died last night. She was a volunteer from England who I did not know very well. Apparently, her liver exploded because of some Hepatitis she picked up in Egypt. It was Hep. A and contagious. God, life is nothing to rely on. I am starting to worry. I am feeling much better but I still am constantly exhausted and have at least two fever and/or cold sweat sessions that last around 20-30 minutes each day. I can be in the best air-conditioned café and the sweat will start rolling down my face and neck. Anyways, the whole lot of us are going to the hospital for blood tests and check ups. The thing that worries me is my complete lack of energy. Some of the other volunteers look worn down too so I hope its just India that is getting me down and nothing serious. At MAX HOSPITAL, I am back but at least this time, I have company. Life: I always thought of it as a guarantee, a sort of ticket from god to 80 years on earth. The reality is that it is in no way guaranteed and many people do not even get a shot at it. It is so devoid of magic, at least in the fairies, true love, and happy endings sense. Since there is not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it I will just have to give it my best shot (that goes for you to). Is there a “meaning” to life? I am beginning to think that there is not. No wonder people take drugs and drink. I talked to my Punjabi driver today that helped a lot more then any of the meds. I have been taking. We did not exchange many words but he did remember my name, which made me feel great. Work went well as usual. I should say more about it but I do not know what to say, you just have to be here to get it.