Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Arrived-Dharmshala

The other 30 volunteers and I arrived in Dharmshala at around 7am after an all night bus ride from Delhi. After unloading my bags I promptly collapsed in a heap on the bed and woke again at around 3pm, missing the orientation, drop off exercise and lunch. The group is rather annoying but not all that bad I suppose. One family in particular has been driving me up the wall. Gee I think India is making me a bit tense, I don't mean to sound so judgmental. Anyways, it’s my diary so I will say what I want. So there! This family are wanna bee Buddhist with to much money and no manners. Another girl has the most annoying voice I have ever heard-a sort of nasal whine-but seems like a decent sort. *Sigh* The only other annoyance is a group of spoiled immature young men who are Indian in appearance but defiantly American in attitude. All the annoying ones are in other flats acres so I am quiet happy. The flats are all scattered over a sort of ridge in the foothills so we get lots of exercise going up and down them all the time. The lady in my flat is an older English lady who seems sweet and I like being in the main flat close to all the activity. Anyways, about Dharmshala. Dharmshala is a beautiful community and has been made popular with hippies; tourist and Buddhist wanna bees alike because of its proximity to McLeod Ganj, the home of the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Govt. in exile. The Tibetan and Indian communities seem to mix as little as possible and there is definitely a feeling of separation between the two groups. The climate is cool and relatively clean for a change and I think it will be a nice change from Rajastan. I sure do miss Kerani and I am feeling pretty home sick as well.