Sunday, July 18, 2004

Back "Home" In Delhi


Me and Kerani saying bye

I caught a bus back to Delhi last night. The guy in the seat next to me was what you might call the Indian version of a geek. He had beady little eyes and the habit of alternately belching and muttering incoherently under his breath every few minutes. The gal on my other side had an extra toe jutting out from the top of her foot...weird! Anyways, the ride wasn't all that bad considering the unfortunate absence of air-condition on our bus and my odd travel companions. I arrived in Delhi around 10pm and took an overpriced rickshaw back to Hauz Khas. This place feels like home now and I am glade to be back in the sheltering walks of the complex. When the door opened to my room, I was greeted by Kerani’s grinning face and I can't express my pleasure at seeing a familiar person again. We spent the next day walking around, eating at Pizza Hot and getting a coconut head massage for Kerani at a solon down the road. Even in India, the whole fashion/solon scene is not for me. I feel uncomfortable in settings where you are expected to be fashionable and I can't see the point of socializing just to show off the way some girls tend to. Yuk. That night I accompanied Kerani to the airport and saw her off. I am on my own now, no fellow Oregonian to gain reassurance or comfort from. After she left we waited for some rich ***** to come from Paris. Thank god she is not coming to Dharmshala because I can’t stand the women. She is the guru following type who flashes way to much money and has a “holier then thou” attitude about her. Her husband and two kids are coming to Dharmshala, which is to bad, but at least they are not as obnoxious as her. Anyways, Benji has been coming to Hauz Khas for the past few days and bugging various people that has resulted in him being banned from the apartment complex. The security being a joke, that means basically nothing but it is still a pain to have to worry about him. I feel kind of bad about it. I know it sound stupid but he is just so little and he has a really innocent side to him.

At Oreintation

Well I am at my second orientation. My Dharmshala program has began and the group of new volunteers has arrived. The seem a little stuck up but there are a few nice people and three of the volunteers from Rajgarh (Michael, Ateqa and Ali) are coming to Dhamrshala with me. Benji came about half an hour ago and I talked to him in front of Geetu (a Dharmshala staff member) and the Sikh driver who took me to the train station last time. I think he will leave me alone now. We are leaving at 5pm today for Dharmshala…..