Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Monsoon Rains


Some of the volunteers at the main flat

The first of the mansoon rains have arrived (two weeks late) and it is so refreshing-ahh bliss! I can't explain the joy of it. My placement is similer to the one in Rajgarh but instead of a school, it is a large summer camp with around 100 children. The summer camp will give the children (k-5) a place to express themselves and get some personal attention that they could not get at home. Most of the children spend the summer working in the fields and at home or taking care of their other brothers and sisters. Me and seven other volunteers headed to camp today at around 9am only to find that all the children had been told to come tomorrow. We walked around for several hours in the local villages to make sure the families knew to send their children to our camp at 10am tomorrow. The villages were quaint, lush and peaceful with the relaxing pace of rural life about them. Anyways, I am feeling the urge for girly talk. A wave of lonely just rolled over me and I have had a lot of things on my mind lately. I wish I knew someone around here whose world did not revolve around sex or superficial ideas about spiritual living. I guess that’s unfair, they aren’t all superficial but it seems pretty fake to me. I wish I still believed in magic. It is scaring me that I am starting to loose that ability young lovers and children have to give their whole heart to something. To love easily and deeply and see the world through simplistic eyes, know instantly what is right and wrong, that is all changing. I don’t feel as much anymore. I don’t get hurt but I also don’t bubble over with bliss as often. A man can leave or I can see suffering and it does not affect me hardly at all. I don’t think it is all together bad. Perhaps it comes with wisdom. A sort of calluse people develop alone with their masks that they wear so much as they learn to move in this world. I just need to remember Abraham (the foundation of my belief system). I know I should write about India but I am not in the mood. Well my fellow roommate Maloney is bedding down and I think she has the right idea. It’s freezing here! G-Nite

P.S. Went to Macloed Ganj…. beautiful market but a bit tourist…I almost felt almost overlooked, it was great!