Friday, September 10, 2004

No You Don't!

Jesus a lot has happened since I last wrote in here. I am just leaving Delhi. “What?” you might say, “she was supposed to leave 4 days ago. Well, one of those unbelievably stupid mistakes I often make has caught up with me. I looked at my ticked for the fifth and somehow though that 110 must mean 11:00. I missed my flight! Before I go into that and the last few days, allow me to relay what little I can remember about what happened between the 4th and 6th. AI finally did meet Ajay and had a one sided conversation with him while I ate mo mos and tried in vain to him to eat something. Benji and I hung out everyday after that and went to Pizza Hut and the coffee place across from Hauz Khaus to spend time together. We went to two movies at a new cinema about 20 minutes from the flat. The first was a Hindi movie, Phir Melinge or something like that. It was good. The movie examined the injustices and misunderstands surrounding people who had been diagnosed with HIV. The second movie was Shrek 2. It was not brilliant but I was glade to see something in English all the same. I invited Benji over to look at some of the pictures that had been developed and sat outside on the steps to show them to him. Bela showed up and just about blew up. She was enraged. For the life of me, I cannot see why. I have never once invited him into the flat. She is sway to “above it all” and I do not think she walks her talk at all with her nice car and new cloth. Do you remember that Punjabi taxi driver I liked so much? He took me to the airport and before I left, he told me I was a “beautiful girl”. Now that was nice. He did not ask for anything, just gave a simple compliment. I could have hugged the man. After being put down and criticized so much by Benjamin, it was so nice to hear someone say something nice to me. Benjamin was there waiting and I gave him a letter that I had written along with 500 Rs. and walked inside. After waiting for half an hour and noting the absence of Seoul on the departure list, I figured out what had gone wrong. Benji, bless his little crazy heart, took care of me the best he could. Unfortunately, there was a holiday the next day and all the airline offices were closed; I was stuck in Delhi for the next 4 days. I am actually glade I did because I got to spend time in a real Indian household and got a much better idea of how things work there. I stayed in Benjis house because I had no money and he would not hear of me staying in a hotel. My attempts at making him American food failed terribly. I think the fruit salad and mashed potatoes I made were possibly the worst food I have ever had. He did not say anything but I think I have given a few Indians a bad impression of American cuisine. Benji on the other hand is an amazing cook. He mad fish curry and fish fry and they were amazing. The last two days he was serious and I could not tell if he was tired of me or sad to see me go. Mohit was also a big help, went to get food, movies, and checked on the airlines for me. They treated me more like family then anyone I have ever known. I really like Mohit. He treated me as if I was human which was nice. I would love to repay them someday. I wrote him a note on a dollar bill saying that I hoped he would consider being my brother. Puru was nice to but a little shifty. Sonu (Purus friend) seemed very sweet but he knew no English so it was difficult to communicate. I bought them pizza on the last day before I left and Puru and Mohit got me two small glass gunesh’s and a card. Finally, we all piled into a taxi and had the most terrifying drive I have ever had to the airport. It felt so perfect being surrounded by five guys who all were nice and were polite with good hearts. I knew that if any man so much as touched me the would jump him. It was as if I had five brothers for a few minutes. I never felt so at home in my life or so accepted. The driver was insane. He came within inches (literally) of head on collisions several times. We finally parted at the airport and I headed into the bowls of the airport and back to being invisable.